Orange’s Roman theatre, constructed at the beginning of the Christian era, owes its reputation to the exceptional condition of its backdrop wall. Life in the old city revolved around it. The superb acoustics and structure enabled an audience of 9 000 to attend performances there.
Its cultural function was forgotten after the chaotic 4thcentury, and it was built over as a housing area. But in the 19th century it finally returned to its original activity.
In 1869, Orange re-launched the Open Air Theatre, attracting the biggest names in drama and opera.
In 1971, the “New Chorégies” troupe won international fame for the theatre. Each year since then, the Theatre has welcomed tens of thousands of visitors to its summer season.